Are you are having trouble sleeping, staying asleep, or do you often feel drowsy? You could have a sleep disorder. The first step in treating a sleep disorder is recognising that a problem exists. At the Renewal Institute, we are dedicated to providing you with the highest quality care for the diagnosis and treatment of sleep disorders in adults, adolescents and children; including:
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Chronic insufficient sleep
- Circadian rhythm disorders (CRD)
- Narcolepsy (MSLT)
- Restless legs syndrome (RLS)
- Rapid eye movement (REM) sleep behaviour disorder
- Sleep eating
Services, devices and supplements offered at Sleep Renewal:
1. Professional Overnight Sleep Study (NEW at the Morningside branch only)
Our facility consists of two luxurious sleep laboratories, equipped with the most advanced technologies and a highly qualified team. Have your sleep patterns assessed by sleeping overnight while we monitor you on an FDA approved Polysomnography (PSG) device with the latest developments in amplifier design and signal processing.
A Polysomnography ( sleep study), is a test used to diagnose sleep disorders. It records your brain waves, the oxygen level in your blood, heart rate, breathing, respiratory effort, snoring, arousals, apneas, awakenings, sleep stages, rapid eye movement, limb movement, as well as restless legs.
2. Home-Based Sleep Study (available at all branches)
With our home-based sleep study device, we can test for OSA (Obstructive Sleep Apnea) and UARS ( Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome). To begin your assessment, you'll be sent a questionnaire to help us differentiate between poor sleep hygiene and poor sleep quality. You'll then visit your closest branch where a sleep therapist attaches five electrodes to your head and shows you how to use the device at home.
During the night, the device records your heart rate, airflow (breathing rate), respiratory effort (number of times you stop breathing per minute), the amount of oxygen in your blood, movements and sleeping positions during the night, arousals and awakenings and the amount of time spent in different sleep phases.
3. Titrations (available at all branches)
Should you be diagnosed with UARS or OSA and you opt for a CPAP, our highly qualified staff is here to ensure you are supplied with the correct CPAP device. The CPAP devices are not available for resale at Renewal Institute, however, assistance is provided in finding the correct devices and support before, during and after diagnosis. Once you've decided on a device, you'll need a CPAP titration test to determine the optimal pressure for your machine.
4. MSLT - Multiple Sleep Latency Test (available at Morningside)
MSLT tests are used for those who suffer from excessive daytime sleepiness. Also known as a daytime "snooze" study, the MSLT is the standard tool used to diagnose narcolepsy and idiopathic hypersomnia. This test measures how quickly you fall asleep in a quiet environment during the day.
5. Standard EEG
An electroencephalogram (EEG) is a non-invasive test that records electrical patterns in your brain. It is used to help diagnose conditions such as seizures, epilepsy, head injuries, dizziness, headaches, brain tumours and sleeping problems.
Benefits of a Sleep Study with the Renewal Institute:
- Pulmonologist who diagnoses the sleep study
- Sleep technician with more than 20 years experience
- Integrated approach – we diagnose as well as treat the related conditions and underlying causes such as hormone imbalances, chronic fatigue, stress and depression, obesity and insulin resistance
- Multiple brands of equipment and masks
- Competitive pricing
- Professional support before, during and after
- Healthy sleep hygiene during overnight stay in a comfortable, beautiful, noise-free environment
Supplements for improving Sleep & Sleep Quality:
- Cogni-Serine contains phosphatidylserine, which helps to regulate stress hormones, has a calming effect and promotes better sleep.
- L-Theanine is effective in reducing anxiety and can make it easier to fall asleep.
- Melatonin regulates the sleep cycle and helps to keep us asleep. It is also very useful in treating jet lag.
- 5-HTP can reduce the time it takes to fall asleep and promotes deeper sleep.
- Benesom contains Melatonin and several herbs to promote better sleep.